Black History,  North Carolina History

Historical Images: St. Agnes Hospital (1949)

On October 18, 1896, St. Agnes Hospital opened on the grounds of St. Augustine’s College in Raleigh, North Carolina. At the time, it was one of the only facilities in the region providing quality care to African Americans. Less than two years later, the associated Training School for Nurses graduated their first two students. The hospital remained in operation, servings hundreds of citizens, until it closed its doors for good on April 27, 1961. In 1979, the city of Raleigh declared the site a local historical landmark. Today, the hospital sits in ruins, a mere shell of the former influential structure.


Photo courtesy of: State Archives of North Carolina, Albert Barden Collection via Flickr